Try this simple recipe as a snack, dessert or classic valentines day treat! Cacao is known for its rich antioxidant properties and neuroprotective effects. Cacao supports healthy energy levels, physical well‐being, motivation and mood. It increases the release of dopamine, the neurotransmitter responsible for pleasure, which explains why we often turn to chocolate for emotional comfort.
Chocolate not only contains psychoactive ingredients which produce a feeling of euphoria, it should also be delicious, as the experience of enjoying chocolate is an important factor, it’s not just about the ingredients.
While the above is true of all types of chocolate, dark chocolate (>70% cacao) has a higher concentration of flavonoids, antioxidant chemicals which have been shown to improve inflammation, which studies have shown to play a role in the onset of depression.
Chocolate Avocado Mousse Recipe
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 300g good quality dark chocolate (>75%) plus extra for decorating
- 3 heaped tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup milk alternative (coconut, almond, oat etc.)
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla essence
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Pinch of sea salt
- Fresh berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries) for decorating
- Melt the dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl over simmering water until smooth OR gently melt in the microwave, careful not to burn.
- Halve and de-seed the avocados. Scoop the flesh into a food processor.
- Add all the ingredients, including the melted chocolate into the food processor, pulse to combine, scraping down the sides until smooth and creamy.
- Cover and place in the fridge until needed (consume within 1-2 hours)
- Place in glass jars and decorate with berries and extra shaved dark chocolate
Tip: This recipe can also be made with 1 x 160g tin of coconut cream instead of 1/4 cup of milk alternative.